GDC 2016 will be the inaugural year for the VRDC, a special two-day event where developers of all types will get the opportunity to discuss and explore immersive themes, experiences and more based around virtual reality (VR) and augmented reality (AR) projects. The VRDC will have two tracks for the conference, the Game VR/AR Track and Entertainment VR/AR Track. GDC 2016 has now announced who will be on the advisory board for each track.
The Game VR/AR track will include:
- Colin Northway – Northway Games – Former CEO and founder of Kuju Entertainment with more than 20 years of experience as a developer and investor in the games industry, including four years as the Chairman of TIGA, the UK game developer’s trade association. Colin now co-leads independent game studio Northway Games.
- Alex Schewartz – Owlchemy Labs – CEO and Chief Scientist of game studio Owlchemy Labs. Alex and company have pioneered the VR space as one of the first studios dedicated to virtual reality experiences. Alex is also the founder of the VR Austin group advocating and speaking about VR.
- Robin Hunicke – Funomena – Co-founder of indie game studio Funomena and a Professor of Art, Games & Playable Media at UC Santa Cruz. Robin has been designing, making and teaching about games over her 12 year development career, which has included roles in the development of titles like Journey, Boom Blox, The Sims 2 and many more.
- Chris Pruett – Robot Invader – Leads game development team Robot Invader. Chris previously worked at Google working as a developer advocate for the Android platform. His years of dev experience includes engineering work on various console titles as well as creation of REPLICA ISLAND, an Android side-scroller with 1.5 million users.
- Dan Hurd – Playful Corps – Now the Studio Design Lead for Playful Corps, Dan previously served as Senior Game Designer for successful apps including Hanging with Friends, Matching with Friends and Gems with Friends.
While the Entertainment VR/AR Track will feature:
- Pete Isensee – HBO Code Labs – With more than two decades in the digital entertainment industry, Pete serves as a software engineer at HBO unlocking the storytelling potential of VR with the creative power of the film industry.
- Aaron Lemke – Unello Design – Aaron is an independent VR designer and musician who has created seven VR experiences and is currently creating relaxing and meditative experiences blending visuals and audio on Samsung Gear VR, HTC Vive and Oculus CV1, as well as exploring medical applications for VR.
- Ikrima Elhassan – Kite & Lightning – Co-founder of Kite & Lightning, a boutique creative development studio focused on VR. His past work has included surreal art pieces and experiential installations for NBC and GE.
- Ethan Stearns – Legendary Entertainment – The Director of Production Resources at Legendary, Ethan Stearns has helped usher the creation of specialised VR experiences using visual assets from movies like Pacific Rim, Warcraft and Crimson Peak.
GDC 2016 will be taking place on March 16th – 18th, in the Moscone Center, San Francisco, with the conferences starting prior on Monday 14th – Tuesday 15th 2016.
VRFocus will be at GDC 2016 to bring you all the latest news and announcements from the event.