GoPro has announced the GoPro Hero9 with 5k video and other features. Here’s the product video:
GoPro Hero9’s features:
- 5K video. The Hero9 has a video resolution of 5K at 30fps, or 4K at 60fps.
- 20mp photos with Raw and HDR mode.
- Dual LCD: in addition to a rear LCD touchscreen, the Hero9 now has a full color front-facing LCD, which is helpful for vlogging.
- 30% longer battery life. GoPro also claims that the battery will do better in colder temperatures.
- Hypersmooth 3.0 with horizon leveling
- Timewarp 3.0 (improved hyperlapse)
- Scheduled capture: this lets you begin recording at a scheduled time. The GoPro will turn itself on and begin recording automatically.
- Duration mode: with this mode, you can specify a fixed recording time, such as 5 minutes or 20 minutes. It will stop recording automatically when it reaches the specified duration. This mode can be used together with Scheduled Capture.
- Hindsight: this lets you capture a video 30 seconds before you press the shutter, so you’ll won’t miss the shot. It works by recording in a loop.
- Max lens mod. This is an accessory for capturing extra wide angle videos, with a field of view of 150 degrees, similar to a fisheye lens.
- Webcam mode: the Hero9 includes webcam mode, out of the box.
- Removable lens: as with other GoPros, the lens cover is removable and can be replaced. It will also likely have filters available from third parties.
- 8X slow motion (1080p at 240fps)
- Live stream in 1080p.
- Data Overlays: as with other GoPros, the Hero9 can add an overlay to your videos with accelerometer data such as speed, altitude, etc.
- Foldable built-in GoPro mount. Like the Hero8, the Hero9 has foldable built-in GoPro finger mounts.
- Voice control.
- Waterproof to 33 feet.
The Hero9 is $349 with a $50 annual annual subscription, or $449 without a subscription. It’s available on GoPro.com.
The big question that everyone is asking is, how does it compare to the Insta360 One R (reviewed here)? I ordered a Hero9 and will compare it to the One R as soon as I receive it. Stay tuned.